Sunday, December 26, 2010

The time for change is always NOW...


To the left, you will notice an empty paint can with some decorations on it...but this isn't just any ordinary paint can, mind you. This, my little cookie dough bites, is a TIME CAPSULE! Oooh, ahhh.
Ah yes, Christmas 2010. Another year of spending money outside of our means and calling it the season of giving. I will get my disclaimer out of the way now, and advise you to not take any negativity from this particular keystroke parlaying and remember one thing: I'm only trying to help.
We build up the year to a culmination for this time, but as I get older and look around, I'm really seeing some serious lacking in the "sentimental" department. I will not get into the religious aspects of what the day represents (that would require a blog of its' own), however, I do agree we need an event to bring family and close loved ones into a room such as this.
With that said, my siblings and I decided to create gifts this year as opposed to the usual consumerism that plagues a vast majority of the population. My favorite aspect of this entire process is the fact that it required EFFORT and time to create something original, yet tangible to offer another. My lady and I decided to offer our gift in the form of a home made time capsule, complete with instructions, and a marker stone in case it is indeed buried. Our rules were simple: Fill it with memories, and once full, put it away (or bury it) for 5 years and forget about it. I debated for weeks on what to do, and now that it is said and done, I'm content with the choice that we made. A gift that connects a family, and gives them a common bond in which to focus some of that memory making energy upon. An opportunity to gaze at their past, and reflect on the growth made since the inception of the capsule. A reason to not talk about work at the dinner table, and recognize how connected we really are. A reason to continue documenting the time spent on Earth, and hopefully motivation to make the events documented that much sweeter. Word. I'm only giving myself a small pat on the back, as motivation, for I believe that a bigger mission is at stake...
From now on, beginning with 2010, I will only offer gifts that I feel will help my loved ones move forward with their lives. So when the end of the year points its bony fingers in the direction of the future, I know that I have assisted them with the path they are heading towards. I will be more observant to their needs and pay attention to what it is they are seeking, and in return, help to be a stepping stone to show them that I truly care, and want them to succeed with their goals. Their goals and dreams are much more important to me than "stuff".
"Stuff" will not give them good mental and physical health. I highly doubt a gift card to Best Buy will bring me closer to knowing who the people I love really are. There is so much more to them than any of us realize. "Stuff" will not help with their student loans. "Stuff" will not teach them how to live simply, so all this man-made financial garbage we are ALL surrounded with can be ascended.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy buying "things" as much as the next person. But the problem is this: there's much more focus on "things" than the well being of LIFE. A blu ray player will only attach my focus to the brain wash box more than it needs to be. We have much work to do, and are wasting valuable time. Remember: The people bent on destroying life and keeping us dumb/numb to the truth are working 50,000 times harder to keep that control than we are trying to break it. This is a FACT.
I feel this choice will require more dedication, and effort throughout the year to pay attention to their patterns and direction, and cause me to be more compassionate about what it is they seek. It will also solve the old cliche I hear about how "We should carry this joy, and spread this sort of love all year long. It shouldn't require a holiday to treat your neighbor with respect and a warm heart". The times I feel the most loved by friends and family is when they do something as simple as contacting me and saying, "How are you feeling about music? I know you've been struggling with whether or not to do it, and I know it's a big part of who you are. That must be hard on you. How are you holding up?".
I feel the tides turning, and people are feeling a tugging sensation in their hearts, becoming fed up with this out of control beast society has been conditioned to continue breeding. Damnit, enough is enough. And as some good friends have taught me over the past year, BEING the change you want to see, and TALKING about the change you want to see are two different things. It's time to start being honest about this, instead of piling on more "stuff". I hope that BEING the change will inspire others to listen to the voice (intuition) screaming for them to step out of that box we are all chained to.
Give it a chance. I did.
I wish you all light and love during the 2010 Holiday season, and a good 'ol fashioned tea baggin' for the companies spending millions to provoke you to do the opposite.
My best,
apollo.

2 comments:

  1. In my crystal ball I see..I see you. Yes you, living near a pond somewhere..why would you live near a pond that none else would be content on?

    Kidding aside I like the truth behind your passage. Maybe next year I'll convince my parents and bro to do something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your crystal ball is not far off. I plan on living near water, in the woods, away from all this nonsense. One day. Sometime.

    ReplyDelete